How are you doing DHCPv6 ?

Mohacsi Janos mohacsi at niif.hu
Tue Jan 24 08:17:33 UTC 2012

Hi Randy

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012, Randy Carpenter wrote:

> One major issue is that there is no way to associate a user's MAC (for
> IPv4) with their DUID. I haven't been able to find a way to account for
> this without making the user authenticate once for IPv4, and then again
> for IPv6. This is cumbersome to the user. Also, in the past there have
> been various reason why we want to pre-authenticate a client's MAC
> address (mostly for game consoles, and such, which have the MAC written
> on the outside of the machine). How can this be done with IPv6, which
> the DUID is not constant?

There are several possible DUIDs exist:
DUID-LLT, DUID-EN, DUID-LL - have a look at slide 36 and 37 at
https://openwiki.uninett.no//_media/geantcampus:2011-gn3na3t4-ipv6-mohacsi.pdf
or section 9. of RFC 3315:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3315#section-9

You should use DUID type 3 which is tied to MAC address in case of
Ethernet. So it is not random. You should warn your device vendors that
they should use DUID-LL (or type 3) as a default - or should be
able to preconfigure to use DUID-LL.

In reality some vendors - due to some lazyness? - only implement DUID-LLT
(or type 1) and sometimes does not store the first time value - therefore
generated  again and again - seemingly generating pseudo random DUID.
However DUID-LLT has a structure:

Best Regards,
 		Janos Mohacsi