Megaupload.com seized

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Jan 21 19:00:57 CST 2012

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Lyle Giese" <lyle at lcrcomputer.net>

> Not that I would not be a bit miffed if personal files disappeared, but
> that's one of the risks associated with using a cloud service for file
> storage. It could have been a fire, a virus erasing file, bankruptcy,
> malicious insider damage... Doesn't matter, you lost access to legit
> content in the crossfire.

I'm not sure this is actually true.  The Law generally recognizes 'accident'
as a means for relieving people of responsibility for criminal acts -- it
can't *be* a criminal act without scienter on the part of the doer.

In this case, the doer was negligent, rather than purposefully malicious,
but we have solutions for that as well.

I hope that we don't see a class-action lawsuit against the feds... I wanna
see them have to defend each case individually.

Cheers,
-- jra