Polling Bandwidth as an Aggregate

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Jan 20 15:48:03 UTC 2012

In a message written on Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:36:38AM -0500, Keegan Holley wrote:
> using cacti for this.  My last question is if there is any easy/automated
> way to pull interfaces into cacti and configure graphs for them either via
> SNMP or reading from a mysql DB.  I suddenly remember how much I hate
> importing large routers into cacti and configuring the graphs.

I find using MRTG is easier than Cacti for _automation_ purposes.
It's configmaker script will generate a config file for a single
router.  I've written about 5 different versions of a small script
that's basically a customized config maker so the graphs get named
with customer names or the like.  The job can be fully automated
with a few hours of coding; run it out of Cron to rebuild your interface
list automatically and you'll never miss a customer turn up because
someone forgot to configure a graph.