DNS Attacks

Leigh Porter leigh.porter at ukbroadband.com
Wed Jan 18 01:45:22 CST 2012

On 18 Jan 2012, at 05:06, "toor" <lists at 1337.mx> wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I am wondering if anyone else has seen a large amount of DNS queries
> coming from various IP ranges in China. I have been trying to find a
> pattern in the attacks but so far I have come up blank. I am completly
> guessing these are possibly DNS amplification attacks but I am not
> sure. Usually what I see is this:

At various seemingly random times over the past week I have had a DNS which is behind a firewall come under attack. The firewall is significant because the attacks killed the firewall as it is rather under specified (not my idea..).

It did originate from Chinese address space and consisted of DNS queries for lots of hosts. There was also a port-scan in the traffic and a SYN attack on a few hosts on the same small subnet as the DNS, a web server and an open SSH port.

--
Leigh Porter