BBC reports Kenya fiber break

Marshall Eubanks marshall.eubanks at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 16:17:17 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Justin M. Streiner
<streiner at cluebyfour.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Feb 2012, Rodrick Brown wrote:
>
>> There's about 1/2 a dozen or so known private and government research
>> facilities on Antarctica and I'm surprised to see no fiber end points on
>> that continent? This can't be true.
>

> Constantly shifting ice shelves and glaciers make a terrestrial cable
> landing very difficult to implement on Antarctica.  Satellite connectivity
> is likely the only feasible option.  There are very few places in
> Antarctica that are reliably ice-free enough of the time to make a viable
> terrestrial landing station.  Getting connectivity from the landing station
> to other places on the continent is another matter altogether.

Apparently at least one long fiber pull has been contemplated.

(Note : the headline is incorrect - the Internet reached the South Pole in 1994,
via satellite, of course :
http://www.southpolestation.com/trivia/90s/ftp1.html )

As far as I can tell, this was never done, and the South Pole gets its
Internet mostly via
TDRSS.

http://www.usap.gov/technology/contentHandler.cfm?id=1971

Regards