Programmers with network engineering skills

Jeroen van Aart jeroen at mompl.net
Tue Feb 28 21:04:57 UTC 2012

John Mitchell wrote:
> <rant>
>
> I would wholeheartedly agree with this, but I believe its worse than

> teaching process is one of learning to program like a monkey, monkey
> see monkey do. People are no longer taught to think for themselves, but
> instead taught to program in a specific language (PHP, Java, rarely C
> or C++ any more, C#, or VB) and that is all they know. I don't believe
> this is a failing with the lecturers but with the fundamental change in
> attitudes to programming.

The story of Mel comes to mind (one of my favourite):

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/R/Real-Programmer.html

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck ) since this gives people a
> chance to show they can program rather than being able to tell me "I
> know PHP" or "I know C", suprisingly very few newer programmers can

I think someone being able to quickly understand brainfuck and write
usable code in it may be smart, but I don't think it's necessarily a
sure sign of a potentially productive employee that "fits well in the team".

Greetings,
Jeroen

--
Earthquake Magnitude: 3.5