Programmers with network engineering skills

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Tue Feb 28 19:32:15 UTC 2012

Education in theoretical concepts is definitely a problem in general,
but I've found it's particularly noticeable in the technology field
which has become increasingly commercialized (or commoditized);  where
once a "sysadmin" was a long-running process, grown from a person with
the mindset of "how does this work?" and "let's build cool stuff!",
eventually culminating in someone who knew operating systems,
networking, and programming inside out (see: "UNIX greybeard" types),
nowadays people haul off to a 5 day course in "Advanced System
Administration(TM)", write a certificate exam or 15, and call themselves
a "sysadmin".

There still are people with the "greybeard" mentality -- all of the very
best sysadmins I know are of this type, and many know real programming
(that is, data structures, algorithms, etc) better than the
mass-produced developers our there -- but unfortunately, they're
relatively rare, and usually very hard to recruit.   You have to have a
very interesting project first and foremost -- salary is important, but
building new, cool stuff is usually the #1 factor for top-notch
generalists.

- Pete