Programmers with network engineering skills

Jamie Bowden jamie at photon.com
Tue Feb 28 16:27:52 UTC 2012

William Herrin [mailto:bill at herrin.us]
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 27, 2012, at 12:02 PM, Brandt, Ralph wrote:
> >> Generalists are hard to come by these days.
> >
> > I think you're more likely to find a network engineer with (possibly
> limited)
> > programming skills.
>
> I wish. For the past three months I've been trying to find a network
> engineer with a deep TCP/IP protocol understanding, network security
> expertise, some Linux experience, minor programming skill with sockets
> and a TS/SCI clearance.
>
> The clearance is killing me. The two generalists didn't have a
> clearance and the cleared applicants are programmers or admins but
> never both.

Hey now...the time from zero to TS/SCI has gone from over half a decade to a mere quarter decade.  You can totally pay these guys to sit around doing drudge work while their skills atrophy in the interim.  Of course, if you need a poly on top, add some more time and stir continually while applying heat.

Jamie