BBC reports Kenya fiber break

Mike Andrews mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tue Feb 28 15:23:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 10:20:10AM -0800, virendra rode wrote:

> On 02/27/2012 08:11 AM, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> > Is anyone seeing this ?
> >
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-17179544
> >
> > "East Africa's high-speed internet access has been severely disrupted
> > after a ship dropped its anchor onto fibre-optic cables off Kenya's
> > coast."

The ship was reported to have dropped anchor while in a restricted or
prohibited area. These areas are _EXTREMELY_ well marked on charts. I can't
see it being anything other than human or mechanical error: not checking if
the ship is in a no-anchorage area, or the anchor chain wildcat brake _and_
the anchor chain blocking device fail simultaneously, or watch officer
totally mistakes the ship's location and orders the anchor to be let go.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
mikea at mikea.ath.cx
Tired old sysadmin