dns and software, was Re: Reliable Cloud host ?

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Tue Feb 28 05:45:26 UTC 2012

	getaddrinfo was designed to be extensible as was struct
	addrinfo.  Part of the problem with TTL is not data sources
	used by getaddrinfo have TTL information.  Additionally for
	many uses you want to reconnect to the same server rather
	than the same name.  Note there is nothing to prevent a
	getaddrinfo implementation maintaining its own cache though
	if I was implementing such a cache I would have a flag to
	to force a refresh.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org