Programmers with network engineering skills

david raistrick drais at icantclick.org
Mon Feb 27 20:31:55 UTC 2012

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I think you're more likely to find a network engineer with (possibly limited)
> programming skills.

While I'll agree about the more likely, if I needed a coder who had a firm
grasp of networking I'd rather teach a good coder networking, than try to
teach the art and magic of good development to a network guy.

I think it really comes down to which you need: a hardcore network
engineer/architect who can hack up code, or a hardcore developer who has
or can obtain enough of a grasp of networking fundementals and specifics
to build you the software you need him to develop.

The ones who already know both ends extremely well are going to be -very- hard to find, but
finding one who can learn enough of the other to accomplish what you need
shouldn't be hard at all.

oh wait, that's an echo I hear isn't it.

...d (who is not exactly the former though I've played one for TV, and not
at all the later)

--
david raistrick        http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote.html
drais at icantclick.org             http://www.expita.com/nomime.html