do not filter your customers

Jeffrey S. Young young at jsyoung.net
Sat Feb 25 01:24:57 UTC 2012

1.  Make your customers register routes, then filter them.
     (may be time for big providers to put routing tools into
     open source for the good of the community - make it
     less hard?)

2.  Implement the "1-hop" hack to protect your BGP peering.

98% of problem solved on the Internet today

3.  Implement a "# of routes-type" filter to make your peers
     (and transit customers) phone you if they really do want
     to add 500,000 routes to your session ( or the wrong set
     of YouTube routes...).

99.9% of problem solved.

4.  Implement BGP-Sec

99.91% of "this" problem solved.

Because #1 is 'just too hard' and because #4 is just too sexy
as an academic pursuit we all suffer the consequences.  It's
a shame that tier one peering agreements didn't evolve with
a 'filter your customers' clause (aka do the right thing) as well
as a 'like for like' (similar investments) clause in them.

I'm not downplaying the BGP-SEC work, I think it's valid and
may one day save us from some smart bunny who wants to
make a name for himself by bringing the Internet to a halt.  I
don't believe that's what we're battling here.  We're battling the
operational cost of doing the right thing with the toolset we have
versus waiting for a utopian solution (foolproof and free) that may
never come.

jy

ps. my personal view.