common time-management mistake: rack & stack

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Thu Feb 23 19:54:47 UTC 2012

The problem with using engineering as a model is that computer science networking theory is based upon mathematical logic and formal mathematics (for instance Finite State Machines, Turing Machines), and operates on what are essentially robotic automatons running in real time. Engineering as I have experienced it, operates according to construction time frames using CSI specifications, preliminary design reviews, and various iterations of final design reviews involving engineering drawings and CSI-format specification documents where a 6 year start-to-finish time frame is not unusual. The number of PEs who can operate in real time is but a fraction of all PEs, and those who can plan a project with a 1 week time frame, and implement the project at 3 am in the morning is a yet smaller fraction. ( and don't even think about the number of PEs who can get a 3 am call and must fix a broken network ASAP).

Not everyone has the ability to grasp mathematical logic, even though they have been able to get an engineering degree.

Engineers have no peers in the ability to build bridges, skyscrapers, and other large construction projects, but this ability does not transfer to computer science, and computer networking.