Customer Notification System.

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Thu Feb 23 11:45:56 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 08:34:49AM -0800, JC Dill wrote:
> 99.999% of the time there is absolutely no benefit in the
> attachment.  But by pushing customers to open attachments to get the
> content we are encouraging them to be complacent about opening all
> attachments, and that's a great way to end up getting infected with
> malware.

Spurious attachments also (like HTML markup, another email worst practice
used only by (a) people who don't know any better and (b) spammers) chew
up bandwidth, which is sadly becoming an increasingly expensive commodity
for everyone using mobile devices.  They eat space in mail spools. They
require more resources to be scanned (whether for malware, dubious URLs,
exploits, or anything else).

---rsk