common time-management mistake: rack & stack

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Wed Feb 22 22:19:55 UTC 2012

On Feb 17, 2012, at 18:55, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I also think that when we spend too many consecutive weeks/months/years behind a desk without going out in the real world, we become progressively more detached from the operational reality where our designs have to operate.

In software, this problem is a rather well known "Antipattern":

	http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ArchitectsDontCode

(This is an "Antipattern", i.e. it actually means "Architects *MUST* write code".
But the problems from doing this getting in the way are also discussed there, so Jeff gets some support, too.)

Grüße, Carsten

PS.: Donald E. Knuth said:
"The designer of a new kind of system must participate fully in the implementation."
So, the more cookie-cutter your systems become, the less important is the requirement to do this over and over.
But having it done once, and recently enough, still is a qualification factor for an architect.

PPS.: I'm less sure about the battlefield analogies :-)