Common operational misconceptions

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Feb 21 12:24:17 UTC 2012

On Monday, February 20, 2012 09:07:20 PM Jimmy Hess wrote:
> RJ45 is really an example of what was originally a misconception
> became so widespread, so universal, that reality has actually shifted
> so the misconception became reality.   When was the last time you ever
> heard anyone say "8P8C connector?"

And then there's the 10C variant used on some serial port interfaces (like those from Equinox).....

'8 pin modular plug' is reasonable, though, and is what I'll typically say, with the modifier 'for stranded' or 'for solid' conductors, as it does make a difference.  I haven't said 'RJ45 plug' in years.

Yeah, it's a bummer that the keyed RJ45 plug got genericized to the unkeyed variant; at least the unkeyed plug used for TIA568A/B will work in a true RJ45 jack.....