WW: Colo Vending Machine

Robert Bonomi bonomi at mail.r-bonomi.com
Tue Feb 21 01:11:11 UTC 2012

> From nanog-bounces+bonomi=mail.r-bonomi.com at nanog.org  Mon Feb 20 09:40:44 2012
> Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:34:58 -0500 (EST)
> From: Jon Lewis <jlewis at lewis.org>
> To: nanog at nanog.org
> Subject: Re: WW: Colo Vending Machine
>
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, John Osmon wrote:
>
> > At my $JOB[-1] they laughed at me when I pulled a Wyse out of the
> > trash bin and stuck it on a spare crash cart.
> >
> > Then I fixed something while they were still looking for USB-Serial,
> > etc.
>
> Speaking of that sort of thing, I'd really LOVE if there were a device
> about the size of a netbook that could be hooked up to otherwise headless
> machines in colos that would give you keyboard, video & mouse.  i.e. a
> folding netbook shaped VGA monitor with USB keyboard and touchpad.  I know
> there are folding rackmount versions of this (i.e. from Dell), but I want
> something far more portable.  Twice in the past month, I'd had to drive
> 100+ miles to a remote colo and took a full size flat panel monitor and
> keyboard with me.  Has anyone actually built this yet?

You might want to look at "Lilliput Computer" offerings
<http://www.lilliputweb.net>

Add an "Adesso Flexible compact keyboard"
<http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&cid=6658121900308964173>

And you're in the 'in a briefcase, or a backpack' range, and nearly in
the 'in a coat pocket' range.

Not _exactly_ what you asked for -- it's two pieces, not one -- but close.