Single-port Network "KVM"

Jussi Peltola pelzi at pelzi.net
Mon Feb 20 20:14:20 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 03:05:16PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> Here's one example; cheapest I've seen:
>
> http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/0su51068.html
>
> There are others.  This one appears to be web/java based rather than VNC,
> though that probably isn't a killer for most people.
>
> I thought I'd seen a little dongle-y model; I'll look around a bit more.

Again:

http://www.lantronix.com/it-management/kvm-over-ip/securelinx-spiderduo.html

only $199. Disclaimer: I'm only a satisfied customer. The SpiderDuo
seems to be more or less the same thing as the supermicro IPMI cards,
and works well, even though it has the typical hack-ish embedded linux
appliance feel to it (i.e. I'd not dare to connect it to the internet at
large)

The reverse telnet serial does seem to work without mucking the data,
which I find very important. Come to think of it, I'm not sure if you
can send a BREAK. I'll need to check the next time I'm using it.