public scalable vpn?

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Feb 19 16:47:29 UTC 2012

On Feb 18, 2012, at 6:51 PM, George Bonser wrote:

>> academics in ontario are gonna need a scalable vpn service until they
>> find jobs elsewhere.
>>
>> http://www.cautbulletin.ca/en_article.asp?SectionID=1386&SectionName=Ne
>> ws&VolID=336&VolumeName=No%202&VolumeStartDate=2/10/2012&EditionID=36&E
>> ditionName=Vol%2059&EditionStartDate=1/19/2012&ArticleID=3400
>>
>> i can only handle a dozen or so.  anyone running anything at scale?
>>
>> randy
>
> "The agreement reached last month with the licensing agency includes provisions defining e-mailing hyperlinks as equivalent to photocopying a document"
>
> I certainly hope that is some politicized hype printed in that article and not real.  That is absolutely idiotic on the face of it.  When I have seen stuff like this printed in the past it has generally been over the top catastrophizing of an issue in order to inflame emotions.  I sure hope that's the case here.  Otherwise my impression of Canadians has sunk to a new low.  Why would it be in anyone's interest to sign such an agreement?

It seems to be real -- see http://communications.uwo.ca/western_news/stories/2012/February/copyright_deal_struck.html

I asked a Canadian friend of mine (who has serious privacy and security expertise) about it.  She said "Yes - we were discussing this vile decision in my Technopolicy law class...  I have no idea what they were thinking! Idiots."