Common operational misconceptions

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Sat Feb 18 20:41:28 UTC 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Michael Sinatra wrote:

> There was an old cruddy 1950s building on the UCB campus called Stanley Hall.
> (Now there's a new, nice, modern building on the UCB campus called Stanley
> Hall in place of the old one.)
>
> It was great to take students on tours through this operational museum.
> (Well, the LBNL net was sort of operational.  It would just stop working for
> minutes on end and then come back mysteriously.)  You could basically see the
> first 10-15 years of the evolution of ethernet, and it was installed and
> working.

I have a few cruddy old 1950s (or earlier) buildings on campus where I can
find thicknet and (dead for many years) vampire taps, along with thinnet,
many different vintages of voice and data cabling, and many different
vintages of fiber, including lots of OM1 multimode.  Makes for some very
interesting pictures and "what *is* that?" conversations.

jms