X.509 Certs For Personal Use

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 18:57:25 UTC 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:44 AM, John Peach <john-nanog at johnpeach.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 14:27:05 +0100
> Phil Regnauld <regnauld at nsrc.org> wrote:
>
>> toor (lists) writes:
>> > I use http://www.startssl.com/ for all my personal certifcates. I have
>> > not had any issues with the validations (once you have an account you
>> > can validate a domain by sending an email to a predefined list of
>> > contact addresses) and the certificates are issued instantly.
>>
>>       "Your request is being held up for review by our personnel".
>>
>>       Up to 6 hours. Must be their definition of instant :)
>
> It's nice to see that they actually do random reviews, rather than just
> issuing everything requested. I use startssl and have not had anything
> held for review.

I've had most of mine held, but almost always I get a response in side
of 20 mins. Really, what I care about here is:
  1) cert validates in almost all clients (mozilla/chrome/mail.app)
  2) controlled/secured by my key, not something made up on the server side
  3) not paying money for random bytes.

it works and eddy's pretty quick on requests.

-chris