WW: Colo Vending Machine

Matthew Palmer mpalmer at hezmatt.org
Sat Feb 18 07:42:13 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 05:39:34PM -0800, Owen DeLong wrote:
> In such cases, I will occasionally stop by the colo without going home to
> retrieve the laptop.  90% of the time it works out OK.  10% of the time I
> end up leaving the colo, going home, retrieving the laptop and returning
> to the colo.  Obviously, if there was a loaner laptop available for a $15
> rental in the colo as described, it would probably be worth $15 to me
> and/or my organization to avoid the delay and bother of the round-trip
> between colo and home.

As previously advised, typing passwords/phrases into such devices is...  not
recommended.  At $ORK, we've got DC tech laptops in each suite for just such
occasions, preconfigured with everything you might need (bookmarks into all
internal systems and likely wiki pages, a "DC tech" jabber account, etc).
Works well, and I'm sure they've paid for themselves many times over.

- Matt

--
<liw> hut.fi has or used to have two nfs servers not-responding and
still-trying... don't know if their dns server was not-found... 4o4 would be