Common operational misconceptions

R. Sami rms2176 at columbia.edu
Sat Feb 18 01:36:45 UTC 2012

When I bring up Linux ISOs to the believers of this misconception,
they generally argue that Linux ISOs can be obtained without
BitTorrent as well so blocking BT is okay. But I believe it is up to
the user to decide which protocol to use to obtain the data and if the
user wants to use BT but the network prevents this, the network is at
fault.

Other valid uses of BitTorrent include content intentionally
distributed via BT for free by Hollywood studios, television
broadcasters, and artists of Creative Commons works. There's also
Blizzard patches and other game patches. Some companies like Twitter
apparently use BitTorrent internally (https://github.com/lg/murder).