Colo Vending Machine

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Fri Feb 17 19:03:44 UTC 2012

Diagonal cutters
Screwdriver with interchangeable Phillips/straight blade
Small flashlight (with the data center provider's logo even!)
Headlamp
Small mirror (inspection mirror)
Rack screws
Zip ties
Velcro ties
Sharpie markers
Pens
Notebook of shirt pocket size with pages that can be easily torn out for leaving notes.
Post-It
Assortment of electrical tape in various colors.
SFPs (optical and RJ-45, short and long range)
USB stick (sans viruses)
Patch cords 1, 3, 5 meter. Copper, multi-mode, single-mode fiber
USB to DB9 dongle (with driver on USB stick or one the computer can discover on the Internet)
Standard charger of sort used for most smart phones these days or the proper USB cable (micro USB)

The vending machine should use a card like an ATM/gift card, not accept cash.  You should be able to "charge" the card with some cash via a web portal and keep the card in the facility in your space.  If something is needed, one can purchase it with the card.  If there is no money on the card, a person can add cash to the card via a web portal somewhere.   Scenario:  remote hands guy arrives on site, needs an SFP, card doesn't have enough money on it, calls me, I can add the cash to the card, he can purchase the SFP and leave the card in the space for the next time it is needed.