Common operational misconceptions

Paul Graydon paul at paulgraydon.co.uk
Fri Feb 17 06:50:11 UTC 2012

On 2/16/2012 8:30 PM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2012, at 18:08, Jack Bates wrote:
>
>> It at first started with trying to explain that vlan based switching is not Layer-3. :(
> Ah, one of the greatest misconceptions still around in 2012:
>
> -- OSI Layer numbers mean something.
> or
> -- Somewhere in the sky, there is an exact definition of what is layer 2, layer 3, layer 4, layer 5 (!), layer 7
> or
> -- my definition is righter than yours

At the same time, it's shocking how many network people I come across
with no real grasp of even what OSI means by each layer, even if it's
only in theory.  Just having a grasp of that makes all the world of
difference when it comes to troubleshooting.  Start at layer 1 and work
upwards (unless you're able to make appropriate intuitive leaps.) Is it
physically connected? Are the link lights flashing? Can traffic route to
it, etc. etc.

Paul