Common operational misconceptions

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Fri Feb 17 05:42:36 UTC 2012

Modern (RFC 4821) PMTUD that is used by default by Solaris and Microsoft does not require ICMP and works well.  For Linux you have to enable it:

/proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_mtu_probing  = 1 or 2 (I believe the default is still 0 which means it relies on ICMP for PMTUD by default and you must turn on RFC 4821 PMTUD).  If you're relying on ICMP for PMTUD, still, then yeah, you probably run into problems from time to time but fewer stacks use that method of PMTUD these days.