Which P-Touch should I have?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Feb 17 00:45:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 5:06 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
>> From: "Joel M Snyder" <Joel.Snyder at Opus1.COM>
>> Anyone got a solution for *that* particular problem? Should I get a
>> better TZ-compatible labeler?
> If you're labelling a batch of stuff all at once, you should definitely
> get one that runs from your PC; I have a PT-2430PC, and their software is
> actually pretty damn skippy, as long as you're running Windows.  It won't
> run in WINE at all, cause it wants to install its own USB driver.  I'll be
> trying it in VBox next.

The PT-2100 was the best of both worlds. Regular labeler AND a USB
port to drive it from a PC.  Current model is PT-2730 I think.


On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> Personally, I prefer the Brady IDExpert.
> It's pricier, but, it has much greater flexibility and will
> produce, among other things, very nice self-laminating
> labels you can wrap around wires.

For cable labeling I've had good results with 3M Scotch Super88 color
electrical tape. Pick unique color bands for each cable. Band it
identically at both ends. You don't have to squint to see how it's
labeled. And the label isn't invalidated merely because you unplugged
it from one place and plugged it in somewhere else.

For longer distances, label the patch panel.

Bill Herrin

William D. Herrin ................ herrin at dirtside.com  bill at herrin.us
3005 Crane Dr. ...................... Web: <http://bill.herrin.us/>
Falls Church, VA 22042-3004

More information about the NANOG mailing list