Hi speed trading - hi speed monitoring

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 23:38:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Jason Chambers <jchambers at ucla.edu> wrote:
> On 2/16/12 5:03 AM, Hank Nussbacher wrote:
>> Nanosecond Trading Could Make Markets Go Haywire
>> http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/02/high-speed-trading/
>>
>> "Below the 950-millisecond level, where computerized trading occurs so
>> quickly that human traders can't even react, no fewer than 18,520
>> crashes and spikes occurred."
>>
>> Anyone who has managed a network knows that when you look at your
>> MRTG/Cacti graphs at 5min, 10min ,15min intervals - all looks well.
>> Start looking at 1sec intervals and you will see spikes that hit 100% of
>> capacity - even on networks running at 25% average utilization.
>>
>> I guess trading and networking do have many unseen similarities.
>>

> Some complementary information I read a few weeks ago:
>
> http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/critical-cyber-vulnerabilities-found-financial-system
>
> http://www.cpacket.com/latency
>
> http://www.cpacket.com/download/Introduction%20to%20Network%20Latency%20Engineering.pdf
>
> Regards,
>
> --Jason

This all is very familiar to anyone who's looked at ethernet (or other
networks) for real-time control purposes, such as flight control of
aircraft or rockets or for autos or other ground vehicles.

Though the finance people are pushing it a lot more than the rocket
and aircraft control people I know...  I guess markets crash faster
than rockets!

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com