time sink 42

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Thu Feb 16 22:27:55 UTC 2012

On 16/02/2012 21:14, George Herbert wrote:
> Brothers' are fine; buy the tapes that have the split-down-the-middle
> backing on them.
>
> It reduces the unpeeling problem from
> more-time-than-the-label-took-to-type-in to about 2 seconds.  You just
> grab the edges at an end and bend it, so the backing bulges outwards,
> and off it starts to come.

Well, that's the theory anyway.  The reality is that the split doesn't
quite split, and because the tape is so small, you need a child's fingers
to open it out.  If you're doing all the labelling after a long day's work,
you might have worked up a sweat, in which case your hands will be covered
with salt - and we all know how well labels stick after being pawed at with
a salty fingernail.

Nick