time sink 42

Majdi S. Abbas msa at latt.net
Thu Feb 16 21:35:05 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 01:08:46PM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:
> ok, this is horribly pragmatic, but it's real.  yesterday i was in the
> westin playing rack and stack for five hours.  an horrifyingly large
> amount of my time was spent trying to peel apart labels made on my
> portable brother label tape maker, yes peeling the backing from a little
> label so remote hands could easily confirm a server they were going to
> attack.

	Randy,

	Personally, I got tired of buying batteries, and expensive label
tapes, and tend to stick with Avery labels from the office supply store
(or Brady labels for cabling), and preprinting.  Either can be run
through a typewriter, and the Avery labels tend to run through a standard
office printer just fine.

	Then I just have to peel a standard label off of wax paper, which
is much easier than dealing with plastic tape that appears to be fused
to its backing at the factory.

	The split back variety is a little better, but even then it can be
hard to get your fingernails under the other side.  We haven't really
improved much on labeling technology in decades.

	--msa