Common operational misconceptions

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Thu Feb 16 21:02:29 UTC 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Wayne E Bouchard wrote:

> Or more to the point, it is a misconception that traffic is
> symetrical (the path out and the path back are the same) whereas in
> the present network, symetrical paths are the exception rather than
> the rule, especially as your radius increases.

To add to that, I feel pretty sure in stating that many of the people on
this list, at one point or another, have either had people tell them that
asymmetric routing is "bad", or have had to explain why asymmetric routing
across 'the Internet' is not "bad", even if it can make troubleshooting a
'network problem' somewhat more involved.  The path from A to B is not
necessarily the same as the path from B to A.

jms