Hi speed trading - hi speed monitoring

Jethro R Binks jethro.binks at strath.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 13:49:47 UTC 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> Nanosecond Trading Could Make Markets Go Haywire
> http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/02/high-speed-trading/
>
> "Below the 950-millisecond level, where computerized trading occurs so
> quickly that human traders can't even react, no fewer than 18,520
> crashes and spikes occurred."
>
> Anyone who has managed a network knows that when you look at your
> MRTG/Cacti graphs at 5min, 10min ,15min intervals - all looks well.
> Start looking at 1sec intervals and you will see spikes that hit 100% of
> capacity - even on networks running at 25% average utilization.
>
> I guess trading and networking do have many unseen similarities.

Tieing the two together, this post shows how a lot of 'conventional'
network thinking needs to be turned on its head when it comes to networks
for trading floors:

http://www.fragmentationneeded.net/2011/12/pricing-and-trading-networks-down-is-up.html

Jethro.

Jethro R Binks, Network Manager,
Information Services Directorate, University Of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK

The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, number SC015263.