Common operational misconceptions

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Thu Feb 16 13:12:27 UTC 2012

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 22:26:11 -0500
Charles Mills <w3yni1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not understanding RFC1918.  Actually got read the riot act by someone
> because I worked for an organization that used 10.0.0.0/8 and that was
> "their" network and "they" owned it.

Once upon a time, a now deservedly defunct organization called
marchFIRST, was brought in to do a security assessment of a university
network I was involved in and one issue I recall them "identifying" was
that the university was not "RFC 1918 compliant". The following
statement was also made:

  As part of the Forum of Incident Response and Security Teams (FIRST)
  Coalition, there is no firewall between the DePaul University data
  network and the Coalition network.

*plonk*

John