Anonymous planning a root-servers party

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Feb 15 22:42:11 UTC 2012

On Feb 15, 2012, at 5:36 PM, George Bakos wrote:

> As I hadn't seen it discussed here, I'll have to assume that many
> NANOGers haven't seen the latest rant from Anonymous:
>
> "To protest SOPA, Wallstreet, our irresponsible leaders and the
> beloved bankers who are starving the world for their own selfish
> needs out of sheer sadistic fun, On March 31, the Internet will go
> Black.
> In order to shut the Internet down, one thing is to be done. Down the
> 13 root DNS servers of the Internet. Those servers are as follow:"
>
> http://pastebin.com/XZ3EGsbc
>
> 13 servers. Sshhhhh! Don't anybody mention anycast - it's a secret.

As is TCP, which requires a 3-way handshake, oh and the 41 day TTL on the . zone

2 day TTL on the served data pointing to the com zone, so any well-behaved server should only touch the root once every ~172800 seconds.

This means the activity would have to be sustained and unmitigated for many hours (days) to have a significant impact.

- Jared