Common operational misconceptions

John Kristoff jtk at cymru.com
Wed Feb 15 20:47:15 UTC 2012

Hi friends,

As some of you may know, I occasionally teach networking to college
students and I frequently encounter misconceptions about some aspect
of networking that can take a fair amount of effort to correct.

For instance, a topic that has come up on this list before is how the
inappropriate use of classful terminology is rampant among students,
books and often other teachers.  Furthermore, the terminology isn't even
always used correctly in the original context of classful addressing.

I have a handful of common misconceptions that I'd put on a top 10 list,
but I'd like to solicit from this community what it considers to be the
most annoying and common operational misconceptions future operators
often come at you with.

I'd prefer replies off-list and can summarize back to the list if
there is interest.

John