Dear RIPE: Please don't encourage phishing

Masataka Ohta mohta at necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp
Mon Feb 13 02:39:35 UTC 2012

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

>> The problem is greekbank.gr is spoofable as greekbank.gr.
>
> That would be the .gr registry's problem then.

As it is the problem of IDN, same problem exist everywhere.

> They could take the same
> solution as the .ua registry -force lowercase and allow all-latin or all-greek
> names.

DNS does not allow .ua registry force lowercase for ASCII.

> So how do you spoof greekbank.gr with greekbank.gr under those rules?

I merely used your example.

> Well then, if all that's required is a "proper font",  what is the problem with
> your Saitoh families?

All that's required is a "proper font" for ASCII.

Beyond ASCII, you almost automatically loss.

For example, in ISO8859-1 context, uppercase of 'y' with
diaeresis is not 'Y' with diaeresis, because there is no
'Y' with diaeresis in ISO8859-1, which is bad enough.

So, I can understand your attempt to insist on lowercase,
but it does not work because DNS does not allow it.

						Masataka Ohta