Dear RIPE: Please don't encourage phishing

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Sun Feb 12 18:19:10 UTC 2012

On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 04:44:13AM -0500, Vinny Abello wrote:
> All recent email clients I've come across give you anti-phishing
> warnings in one way or another if the URL does not match the actual link.

Which is great, but doesn't help you if the URL and the link are:

	http://firstnationalbank.example.com

because a significant number of users will only see "firstnationalbank"
and ".com".

That's why I recommend that banks et.al. don't put *any* URLs in their
messages.  If they make this an explicit policy and pound it into the
heads of their customers that ANY message containing a URL is not from
them, and that they should always use their bookmarks to get to the
bank's site, then they're training their customers to be phish-resistant.

---rsk