Optimal IPv6 router

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Mon Feb 6 14:18:46 UTC 2012

In a message written on Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 08:34:26AM +0100, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> itself is completely AFI-agnostic - see e.g. IOS/IOS-XE [can't comment
> on XR]).

IOS-XR is fully AFI-agnostic, as far as I can tell.  It also updated
the CLI to be consistently "ipv4 ..." or "ipv6 ..." with similar
syntax.  I think also that all of the platforms on which IOS-XR
runs (GSR, CRS-1/3, ASR9000) can all run full line rate IPv6 in
hardware, with features.

While much of the IOS-XR vrs JunOS is personal preference, IOS-XR has
one very cool feature.  You can pass parameters in route policy.  Many
networks maintain slightly different versions of policies like
"peer-in/peer-out" due to various load balancing or preference needs,
with a 5-15 stanza policy repeated over and over.  When you have to
update one of the stanzas in all policies it becomes a big mess.
In IOS-XR, you can write a generic policy and then call with with
parameters:

route-policy generic-out($routeCommunity)
  ... ! Do all the common things
  if community matches-any $routeCommunity then
    accept
  endif
  drop
end-policy

community-set send-to-private-peers
  1234:5678
end-set

route-policy private-peer-out
  apply generic-out(send-to-private-peers)
end-policy

community-set send-to-public-peers
  1234:4321
end-set

route-policy public-peer-out
  apply generic-out(send-to-public-peers)
end-policy

With a little bit of careful thought you can really collapse down the
policy to be much shorter, easier to understand, and have almost no
cut-and-paste in it, which should reduce errors when updating in the
future.