Hijacked Network Ranges

Alex Band alexb at ripe.net
Mon Feb 6 10:47:23 UTC 2012

With regards to RPKI, I'd like to point out what is possible now, and what the maturity is of the implementations. All RIRs have a system up an running. As John Curran pointed out in an earlier message, ARIN will have a production system up this year, but right now you can already gain experience with their testbed: https://www.arin.net/resources/rpki.html

If you create your ROAs there, there are actually quite some parties who will already validate this information. Of course, basing an actual routing decision on this is a second step; for that we'll need more and better quality data. As it stands there are about 1400 IPv4 and 300 IPv6 announcements that have a ROA associated with them. There are some public test beds up that will give a valid route a higher pref, and an invalid one a lower pref. So create a ROA for your announcements, and then watch it show up on actual RPKI-capable Cisco and Juniper routers:

EuroTransit have made their instance of the RIPE NCC RPKI Validator public, so you can easily verify the validity of your announcement here by searching for it:
http://rpki01.fra2.de.euro-transit.net:8080/bgp-preview

Then you can log in on a public Juniper here:
193.34.50.25, 193.34.50.26
telnet username: rpki
password: testbed

Try commands such as:
- show validation session detail
- show validation statistics
- show validation database
- show route protocol bgp 204.127.128.0/17
- show route protocol bgp validation-state valid

You can also log into a public Cisco here:
rpki-rtr.ripe.net
telnet username: ripe
no password

Try commands such as:
- sh ip bgp rpki table
- sh ip bgp rpki server
- sh ip bgp 93.175.146.0/24
- sh ip bgp ipv6 unicast rpki table
- sh ip bgp ipv6 unicast 2001:630::/32

Both routers are configured along these lines:
https://www.ripe.net/certification/router-configuration

and talk to the RIPE NCC RPKI Validator service available here:
https://www.ripe.net/certification/tools-and-resources

Try it out, and give feedback!

Cheers,

Alex

P.S. RFCs 6480-6493 have been published. A big thank you goes out to all the people who made that possible.