Optimal IPv6 router

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Feb 6 02:07:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, 06 Feb 2012 06:50:54 +0530, Glen Kent said:

> Most routers today are basically IPv4 routers, with IPv6 thrown in.
Not sure if this statement is troll bait or flame bate. Probably both. ;)

I see Joel has already confirmed my memory that vendors had ASICs
doing IPv6 forwarding last century.

> With IPv6 growing, if we were to design a native IPv6 router, with
> IPv4 functionality thrown in, then is it possible to design a more
> optimal IPv6 router, than what exists today?

OK, I'll bite.  What would qualify as a "native IPv6" router?  Is this
another concept as silly as "hardware vs software based" routers?

And whaqt would be the definition of "more optimal"?  Just fixing
the current feature parity mismatch with the IPv4 side, or you got
some new routing paradigm in mind or something?