[#135346] Unauthorized BGP Announcements (follow up to Hijacked

Joe Provo nanog-post at rsuc.gweep.net
Fri Feb 3 00:28:41 UTC 2012

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 07:53:53AM +0000, George Bonser wrote:
> > Back in the old days, people cared about policing bad behavior.
>
> And I believe that is all that is needed today.  We simply, as a
> community, need to decide that we aren't going to tolerate such
> behavior.  It really is that simple.  The problem seems to be getting
> people to act.  In fact, as this demonstrations, actions don't have
> to be taken often.  Generally, once the big hammer is used, it gets
> the point across.

The suits won, and many nerds either threw in with them or revealed
their affinity for the easy life and gave up. Being principled and
turning away dirty money or exercising the "fire the customer" clause
tends to be disliked by corporate officers.

--
         RSUC / GweepNet / Spunk / FnB / Usenix / SAGE / NewNOG