[#135346] Unauthorized BGP Announcements (follow up to Hijacked Networks)

George Bonser gbonser at seven.com
Wed Feb 1 21:00:55 UTC 2012

> So, to pose the obvious question: Should there be?
>
> (I honestly don't know the answer is to this question, and am asking in
> earnest for opinions on the subject)
>
> Nathan

Well, calling the law on someone is kind of the whiner's way out anyway.  It would seem that the community could agree on a set of standards for dealing with such problems and if you don't agree to those standards, nobody routes your traffic.  In other words, if network A finds network B announcing allocated space belonging to network A and network A makes them (network B) and their upstream provider(s) aware and they refuse to stop the announcement, there should be a mechanism by which the community can agree to filter Network B's AS  *and* the AS of the upstream(s) until the situation is rectified.  That's a pretty big hammer but verifying someone's legitimate claim on address space isn't that hard, in most cases.