ATT, IPv6 and 6RD

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 19:16:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 13:54, Bill Merriam <lists at billmerriam.com> wrote:

> I now have ATT IPv6 over their residential ADSL broadband.  They
> deployed using 6RD which means every time your IPv4 address changes
> your IPv6 address changes also.  Does anybody have a clue why they
> chose to use 6RD instead of the much more fully-assed TR-187 for their
> deployment?

My guess: 6RD pretty readily solves the last-5-miles / provisioning
problems - assuming the CPE supports it.  Oh, and they expect you to expect
your address to change.

Out of curiosity - are they giving you a single /64, or something more
reasonable / generous?
Also OOC - how is the IPv6/6RD throughput & latency, compared to
native/NATed IPv4?

/TJ