[#135346] Unauthorized BGP Announcements (follow up to Hijacked Networks)

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Feb 1 02:00:44 UTC 2012

On Jan 31, 2012, at 5:52 PM, Mark Andrews wrote:
>> "We have a contractual relationship with our customer to announce that =
>> space.  We have neither a contractual relationship (in this context) =
>> with the RIR nor the RIR's customer.  The RIR and/or the RIR's customer =
>> should resolve this issue with our customer."
>
> And if I have a contract to commit murder that doesn't mean that
> it is right nor legal.  A contract can't get you out of dealing
> with the law of the land and in most place in the world "aiding and
> abetting" is illegal.

You appear to be making a large number of assumptions on limited evidence. In the case I'm familiar with, I can assure you that no laws were being broken (even if all the parties were in the same country, which they weren't).  However, this is getting off-topic and I don't want to hijack the thread.  The issue of route hijacking is quite serious and it will be interesting to see how this all works out.

Regards,
-drc