non-congested comcast peers?

PC paul4004 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 01:58:00 UTC 2012

Some datapoints based on ~500mb constant UDP telemetry data feed (total)
spread across many different comcast endpoints.

All Cogent -> Comcast.

Even though there's heavy forward error correction provisioned to
accommodate 5-10% packet loss, it's hardly used.  In fact, packet delivery
is incredible impressive to comcast.  Loss is well below 0.01% and often
involves another zero in there, too.  It's one of the best consumer access
networks I've seen and I give them a huge thumbs up for it.

Needless to say, I can't back up the same stats against some other carriers
(Verizon being the biggest offender, with their congestion being localized
to the ATM/DSLAM level and sometimes very high based on my metrics and
sampling).  That's why the FEC is there.