[#135346] Unauthorized BGP Announcements (follow up to Hijacked Networks)

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Feb 1 01:15:29 UTC 2012

> I hope none of you ever get hijacked by a spammer housed at Phoenix NAP.  :)

In the dim past, I had a somewhat similar situation:

- A largish (national telco of a small country) ISP started announcing address space a customer of theirs provided.  Unfortunately, the address space wasn't the ISP's customer's to provide.
- When the ISP was notified by both their RIR and the organization to which the address space was rightfully delegated, the ISP's response was:

"We have a contractual relationship with our customer to announce that space.  We have neither a contractual relationship (in this context) with the RIR nor the RIR's customer.  The RIR and/or the RIR's customer should resolve this issue with our customer."

It as an eye-opening experience.

Regards,
-drc