Netflix transit preference?

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Thu Dec 27 18:54:09 UTC 2012

On Dec 27, 2012, at 13:46 , randal k <nanog at data102.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your prompt response. Yes, we are trying to determine where/how we receive it ... not necessarily influence it, as there isn't so much we can do there as Netflix' egress policy is theirs and theirs alone (interestingly, nobody has communities to influence Netflix' AS2906 traffic). We cannot peer directly with Netflix as their openconnect statement requires 2gbps minimum, and mentions elsewhere that the like 5+. We aren't at 2gbps yet, and we are nowhere near one of their POPs -- it is way cheaper to buy 2-3gbps of cheap transit than it is to buy 2-3gbps of transport from Denver to LA.

Ah, I misunderstood.  Mea Culpa.  I thought you were saying since they only had 1.4 Gbps to you, you wouldn't peer with them.  Silly of me.

The 2 Gbps is only for PNI, but yeah, I can see how paying to get to LA or Denver may be expensive.  Although once you did, you could peer with a lot more than just Netflix.  On the other hand, how much is it to get to Atlanta?  Looks relatively close (miles-wise, don't know fiber routes in Tennessee).

Anyway, while their egress decisions are theirs (as is true of everyone), they probably will be happy to discuss with you - once the holidays are over.

--
TTFN,
patrick