why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

Wayne E Bouchard web at typo.org
Fri Dec 21 23:48:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 03:48:04PM -0600, Jason Baugher wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Naslund, Steve <SNaslund at medline.com>wrote:
>
> > I have noticed that too.  However it is not the RJ-45 connector's fault.
> > It is the morons that insist on recessing connectors in places where you
> > can't get your finger on the tab.  I like the patch cords that have the
> > kind of loop/spring thing for a tab that does not catch on everything
> > and that way you don't need the boot over the tab.  Another pet peeve of
> > mine is connector boots that harden up over time so it is nearly
> > impossible to flex the tab to remove the cable.  Also, how about the 48
> > port 6500 blades and trying to remove the cables near the blade
> > extraction tabs.  Grrrr.
> >

> > Yes, the tabs you refer to are the best. I have never done business with
> this company, but that have a good picture for reference.
>
> http://www.computercablestore.com/10_FT_Booted_Cat5e_Networ_PID49403.aspx
>
> The full boots can be so thick that they won't fit into a high-density
> switch. If you're in a cold environment they go from difficult to compress
> to damn near impossible. More than once I've used a knife to cut a hardened
> boot off a cable so it's usable again.
>
> Jason

And that's the main reason I never order cables with boots on them.
They're mostly just unnecessary headaches. (BTW, you forgot to mention
them slipping loose and just pulling away from the connector or the
tab slipping out from under the rubber and making the cable all the
more difficult to remove.)

-Wayne

---
Wayne Bouchard