why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

Naslund, Steve SNaslund at medline.com
Fri Dec 21 20:30:10 UTC 2012

Distance, data rate required, bandwidth (like RF signals), analog
signals and timing that Ethernet does not provide.  I suppose that you
cable box could encode everything as Ethernet/IP to send it to your TV
but it would take lots of processing horsepower to encode/decode.  Your
stereo could take the analog output going to your speakers and encode it
as a digital Ethernet/IP signal but then you would need to decode and
amplify it at the speaker.  Some signals are better off as analog or RF
end to end.  Your FM radio antenna is going to be pretty expensive if
you want to use Ethernet between it and your stereo receiver.

Steven Naslund