why haven't ethernet connectors changed?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Dec 21 16:35:51 UTC 2012

On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
> I guess a magsafe ethernet connector would have too much noise (owing to
> poor quality connection) to provide decently high bandwidth.

I don't see why a magsafe connection would be any more or less noisy
than an rj45. They both follow the same principle: spring tension to
hold the contacts together.

The main issues with magsafe are:

1. You can't have very many pins before the power of the magnet
necessary to overcome the spring tension approaches the ridiculous.
2. Past about two magsafe connections to a machine, cable tangle will
cause them to frequently pull loose.
3. RJ45 implements spring tension the simple and cheap way. Magsafe
does it the complicated and expensive way. You can pretty much forget
about field termination.

Want some entertainment? Read this article on repairing a magsafe connector:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repairing+MagSafe+Connector/1753/1

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004